For a limited time, we're giving you $10,000 in Design Center credits! Learn More >
Summer Homeowners Checklist
As the weather starts to warm up and we begin to mosey our ways out of our winter hibernation, there are a couple of important homeowner steps to take to ensure that your Bosgraaf home is ready for the summer. Follow this handy check-list and check these items in and around your home and attend to any that may need maintenance.
- Clean and test smoke alarms.
- Test and reset ground fault circuit interrupters (GFCI) breakers.
- Change or clean the furnace filter.
- Operate the air-conditioning system; if service is needed it is more conveniently arranged before the busiest part of the cooling season arrives.
- Adjust registers and confirm that registers and cold-air returns are clear of furniture or draperies.
- Make certain the air-conditioner compressor is level and clear of debris.
- Turn the humidifier off (turn off the water, the damper, and the humidistat)
- Pour water down the basement floor drain. As drain water evaporates, sewer odors can seep into the house.
- Inspect grout around tile (floor or wall) and touch up as it likely dried over the heating season.
- Check caulking inside (around windows, trim, countertops, and plumbing fixtures) and touch up as it likely dried and separated over the heating season.
- Wash windows and screens, clean weep holes, and lubricate tracks.
- Start and adjust the sprinkler system. Test exterior faucets for broken pipes.
- Clean gutters and valleys, and confirm that downspouts or splash blocks drain away from the house.
- Look for the settling of backfill soils and fill in where needed.
- Check exterior paint and sand and touch-up as needed.
- Hand tighten the valves on PVC below your sinks.
Have a great Spring and Summer!